My Wonderful Group of Friends

Monday, November 22, 2010

Sugar and Cinnamon Pantry Cakes

Sorry no pictures yet but I have a quick question. I made pantry cakes out of white sugar, spices and water. They don't look too bad but they are very sugary looking. I am going to let the dry for one more day to be sure they are solid. Here's my question. Is there a way to make them not look so grainy? Should I dip them in wax, rub them with something or spray a clear coat on them maybe? They just don't have the look I was after I guess.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. If they ever look the way I want them to, I will post some pictures of them in my displays. If they continue to look the way they do, they will probably go in the trash and no I won't be taking pictures of that!

Thanks in advance friends. Have a fantastic fall like day.
Warm Fuzzy Hugs,
~AMY~

2 comments:

  1. I haven't tried making them I make mine with wax then coat in spice but I know most people use brown sugar and lightly wet wet and spices and bake in the oven on low till hard.I think the white sugar was probly the problem since brown sugar has molasses and hardens and sticks better.Warm Blessings!~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. You don't have to throw them away. Just break them up and grind back into granular. I do use brown sugar. Try mixing your spices and old sugar with DARK brown sugar, plus I mix in some dry coffee used grounds. Add just enough water to make the mix stick together. Press into the mold. Invert onto baking sheet. Turn oven on lowest setting and bake for several hours. I used parchment paper on the baking sheet. I let them sit out for a couple days before using.
    I have been meaning to try wax dipping and I plan to use the same mix I use to grunge candles. I have a crock pot I got at an auction that I use for my wax. I just keep adding to it and never empty it out. Really convenient....It has all the spices and coffee grounds in it as well.
    Good luck, Sweetie! Let us know how they turn out!
    BTW~ I have several molds--remember my auction finds? Perhaps you'd like me to share?
    ★Linda★

    ReplyDelete